Sóller is one of our all-time favorite places to stay on the island. It’s charming and peaceful, but not too remote. The beach obviously is a big plus. And if you’re looking for something more adventurous, you easily drive around the twisty mountain roads to nearby villages such as Valldemossa, Deià, and Fornalutx. Last but not least: it’s only 30 minutes away from the airport, so even for a few days, this area is location-wise the place to be.
Usually, we’re staying in Port de Sóller, which is perfect I think when it’s nice and warm outside. But in April, May or October when the weather is precarious, you don’t want to feel stuck in your tiny little hotel room on a rainy day. Having a bit more space is nice, especially when you travel with family. Can Ruega is a cozy little townhouse, tucked away in one of the tiny streets behind the Plaza Soller. It’s has a pool, garden seating, a fully equipped kitchen and well…everything that you need to make you feel more like a local and less like a tourist.
Low season, for me personally, is also the time of year when I feel like exploring. I love to wake up early to prepare a good family brunch with fresh and local ingredients. Can Ruega offers me that kind of space too. There’s a coffee machine, a vast collection of Mediterranean-inspired ceramics and a jar full of cutlery to choose from. German owner Stefan is not only a very friendly, humble and super helpful host (you can text him anytime), he did a fantastic job on the interior too.
Why staying here?
– This place is a home away from home. Live like a local, while you’re vacationing!
– With two terraces, comfy sunbeds and a lovely little pool, the garden is perfect to relax and unwind. It’s peaceful and quiet with tons of privacy.
– Food options are endless. Stay home to cook a nice family dinner, walk into the village where you have access to plenty of local eateries or take a taxi to the port for even more restaurant options.
– We are total suckers for beautiful design. The interior of this little townhouse is cool, cozy and comfy at the same time. Can Ruega is tastefully designed with island inspired details and accessories.
– Saturday is market day in Sóller! Take your straw basket, stroll along the market stalls and absorb the atmosphere. It’s the perfect opportunity to shop for local products and cool souvenirs!
– Are you coming straight from the airport? Make a pit stop at FAN Mallorca Shopping Centre on the way to Sóller for some serious grocery shopping. There’s a Hipermercado Carrefour that has everything you need for your stay.
– Sóller is known for its orange groves. So breakfast isn’t complete with a carafe full of fresh orange juice. The kitchen is equipped with a citrus press and oranges are for sale on every street corner.
– Don’t feel like cooking? Ainere catering offers salads, plates of pasta and other delish food for takeaway.
– You could leave the car in front of the house, but we recommend public parking instead (particularly when you have a rental). The car park in the center is within walking distance and will save you lots of stress. The roads here are narrow and are mostly one-ways too.
Location: Sóller, Mallorca
For bookings via Airbnb click here
〰 More Sóller? Read our travel guide ‘Sóller weekend escape’ here.