Almost nine years ago me and my (now) husband bumped into this magical place by accident. It was our first summer vacay together on Mallorca and we decided to explore the island by car. I remember how we had been driving on mountain passes for quite some time (I remember because my motion sickness happily kicked in) Then, after a series of never ending bends and crazy sharp hairpin turns, some sort of a hidden valley suddenly popped up between the Tramuntana mountains. That hidden valley was the charming little village of Port de Sóller.
We took a stroll along the super calm sea, looking for a nice place to have dinner. Right in the middle of the promenade there was this very impressing building overlooking the sea. The vintage feel and stunning decor immediately caught my attention. Our sea view table outside was perfect for watching the sun set while drinking Cava and ordering their entire desert menu. I’m not sure if it was the sugar, the alcohol or both, but when we got back to our hotel, we packed our bags, checked out of the hotel and drove back to Espléndido where we stayed for the rest of the week. Back home I told my sis about this wonderful place. Guess what? She and her (now) husband had stayed there too. One year before we did and I had no idea. Ever since we both have been there many times. Sometimes even together with our husbands. It never get’s old.
Why staying here:
– The breakfast. Oh. My. God. It’s simply the best. Everything is healthy and fresh. It’s delicious and beautifully served. From fruits and freshly baked bread to veggies and detox waters to pastries and yoghurt with all toppings you can possibly think of. And yes, they do eggs any style too.
– The location. First of all the beach is only 5 steps away. Second, there’s enough good restaurants and local eateries within walking distance. Do you want a little more? Take the vintage tram to the village of Sóller. Still not enough? Rent a car! From Port de Sóller you can easily access all pretty little mountain villages, including Deià, Valldemossa, Banyalbufar and Fornalutx to name a few.
– The facilities. On warmer days you two amazing pools and a beach at your disposal. Colder days are for relaxing SPA moments, massages and pilates sessions.
– Book a sea view terrace room. This is THE reason (okay, one of many) why we keep coming back to Espléndido. I love getting up early and listen to the shushing sound of the sea, wrapped in a blanket with a cup of coffee. And is there anything better then ending a lovely summer day with your loved ones (and a bottle of Cava) on your private terrace? Seriously, there is no better place I’d rather be.
– Traveling without kids? Have your brekkie downstairs (kids are not allowed here) at their bistro instead of the family breakfast room on the 1st floor. It’s more calm, more cozy and more relaxed.
– Book a (private) yoga class with their amazing yoga teacher Mia. She’s the best!
– Saturday is market day in Sóller. If you want the full authentic experience, take the vintage tram to the village. But you can also grab a taxi. It’s actually cheaper and definitely faster.
– Rainy day on arrival? The Espléndido SPA will keep you warm when the temperature drops. Not a big fan of saunas and jacuzzi beds? Bring your book and crawl into their comfy water beds. Infused water and dried fruits are ready for you.
(text & all images © Projectsis)
Port de Sóller – Mallorca